I keep mentioning trek and I think you deserve an explanation
This last summer I went on trek.
On July 27th I woke up at 3:30 am. I did my daily "get ready" ritual and got dressed, not in regular clothes but pioneer clothes. I'm talking bloomers, skirt, long-sleeved button up shirt, bonnet, apron, and socks and shoes.
We went to the stake center (we being my parents and me) and waited in a line to find out which animal I was. The animal would allow me to find my trek family. I was a rooster. I had to listen for my family doing the rooster call. I kept wandering and I found Anne and asked her, she was a duck and stood in that area kind of uncertainly until the Ma right next to Anne's made a rooster call. I walked toward her and she gave me a big hug. It is very awkward to get a hug from a woman you don't know, but Ma Gunnell knew me very well. She told us that she had been praying for each of us. At first I was a little hesitant with my family. most of them were older than me, only one person was younger than me, I think. I knew a few of them from school but most of them were strangers. Throughout that first day I got to know them really well. My family was part of the Martin Company, no we did not starve, but I felt privileged to be a part of that company which gave so much for us. we boarded buses, school buses mind you, and we were on our way to Wyoming. Just a side note, we were on those buses from about 5:30 in the morning till about 3:30 that afternoon, we had about two hours of walking and then we were back on the buses for another hour or so. We hiked Martin's cove that day and we stopped in a cove called Dan's cove for a lesson. My sister Jenna played her violin for a special musical number, and Brother and Sister Wineger taught us. My family grew a little bit closer and we all learned. My family was the best.
On the second day, It was raining, really, really hard. We set off on our trek, in our ponchos with our hand carts. At the crossing of the Sweetwater I was a little hesitant I was not going to let any boy carry me across, but when the time came I knew I had to and I knew that Logan and Dylan would not drop me. right before we got to the crossing we heard the music of the bagpipes and the spirit was so strong.














Then it was time for the women's pull. as we passed through the men, their hats off and crossed over they're hearts in respect I could feel the respect they held for us women. In today's world you don't feel that in everyday life, it is just not felt. When it was over our brothers gave us "rubies" (red beads on a piece of twine) because our worth is far above rubies. so if you see me wearing a red bead on a piece of twine it's my ruby.then came the fun, after we got back to the camp, we continued on and went to the river just to play!
Bishop Katoa got the boys together and they got every body wet, by splashing and that man being carried is our Stake President. No one who was there left without being soaked. That picture of me was taken before I let go and got soaked. most of you know Libby Stevenson, the boys were chasing her and attempting to get her. She is a very fast person and she out ran them but while trying she stepped on a cactus. they stopped chasing her and she sat with her ma for awhile. one of the medical people said the best thing would be to get the foot wet. so she allowed the boys to get her wet.
that night we had a fireside and we got letters from our parents. I'm not too proud to say that I started to cry as soon as I saw the Mary Englebreit clip outs on the outside of the envelope. This kind gesture had "mom" written all over it.
On the third day we did Rocky Ridge. each of the families lost one family member, they were "dead" and they couldn't acknowledge or talk to us. It was had because my sister Camille was gone. We all missed her. going up the initial incline of Rocky Ridge, only three people could pull/push the cart. My Pa, Mike and Austin elected to pull/push the handcart. Camille joined them at the top and we could then talk to her.
that day we trekked our way through many mudholes. Logan and Dylan pulled our handcart through each time.

Logan is the one with out suspenders and Dylan is right behind him. that day we trekked 14 miles and it was sooo hard.

This is our family at the end of the day when we had finally made it to Rock Creek Hollow. we were so excited and happy to make it there. were we found the energy to sing, dance and Jenna even did a cartwheel. we weren't even singing songs from church, we sang everything from The sound of music, to the radio, to the Wedding Singer.
We even made up a song, here are the lyrics:
Yo-ho, Yo-ho, the Bingham Family
There's Austin and Lauren, Logan and Laura, Jenna and Camille,
There's Kaitie and Dylan, Stephen and Hitler, Brigitte don't call her Brigit!
Yo-ho, Yo-ho, the Bingham Family
We trek all day, we talk all night, we make the Lowder's yell
We're happy go lucky, we play chubby bunny, we're spiritual as well.
Yo-ho, Yo-ho, the Bingham Family
Even now months later I miss my trek family and experience. though I see 2 of them every other day and 1 every day. I still miss those who do not go to Fairfield. I miss my trek family and there's nothing more I can say.




No comments:
Post a Comment