Sunday, October 24, 2010

Music

Merely saying Music is not enough to convey the deepest of feelings within my heart. Music is the food for the soul. When asked my two hobbies I often say: Reading and Cello, and I cannot come up with anything less nerdy, the next best would be handiwork, cross-stitching, knitting, crocheting, etc. I know each of these things sounds slightly nerdy and/or old fashioned but I love each of these things, during the summer I'll sit with my handiwork and listen to a book on CD. Back on topic, however, Music.

Music is my passion, I've only recently discovered this. I love music, I love working on my music, except piano, which I hate. I think the only reason I hate piano is because I have to play out of the lesson books. With Cello my lesson books are fun songs, and I enjoy playing them. In Piano if I could play fun songs I'd do just fine.

Music is wonderful. I love it. Music can evoke such feelings of love (for whom or what I cannot say) , frustration, peace, and more. In Davis Youth (someday I'll write a whole post just about Davis Youth) we're playing wonderful music. The Montagues and the Capulets from Romeo and Juliet by S. Prokofiev, Poet and Peasant with a cello solo (that I definitely won't be doing) by F. von Suppet, Marche Militare Franciase by C. Saint-Saens, and Symphony No 2 in D Major Op. 73 Movement no 4 by J. Brahms. In order to play these songs more effectively I've put them on my Mp3 and I'm listening to them over and over and over again. This is highly effective and I've fallen in love with Classical Music. Incidentally with these four pieces, other wonderful pieces have entered my repertoire, pieces like, the William Tell Overture, Orpheus in the Underworld, La belle Helene, and Die Fledermaus to name a few. Classical music calms me down and sometimes puts me to sleep. Classical music also helps me to concentrate on my homework, be it math, English or French.

The fact that we even have music is a miracle in and of itself. How in the world did such composers as Brahms, Saint-Saens, Suppet, Prokofiev, Bach, Vivaldi etc. ever come up with the pieces they have come up with, it's absolutely amazing and breathtaking.
As I listen to classical music I wonder how and why they came up with these pieces, and my brain can hardly take it all in.

The wonderful melding of each individual instrument into a section of the same instrument, into the whole symphony, band, or orchestra. The melding of the Cellos with the Basses, and the Violins together with the Flutes. The Violas with the Cellos and basses, and the brass and drums melding together as well. The beauty of the melody, harmony and rhythm as one. The counting, dynamics and countless other technical things, that a group has worked for hours to get right, coming together and making the piece more beautiful than it ever could have been on its own.
The individuality of each piece that makes it its own piece, its own masterpiece. What a wonderful way to be, what a wonderful, magical, majestical thing to play, to be, to listen to, to become a part of.

Even Music that lasts forever and ever is amazing. A movement of a piece could be a half-hour long, and each new note is amazing, the melding of each note, and if you get bored of listening watch the musicians themselves. Watch the way they concentrate, the way they move their fingers and bows. The conductor, the way s/he moves his/her arms, the way s/he gets so involved they can't be broken away until the piece ends. Sometimes it's rather funny to see what they do. Watch, they might drop their baton or something else that is really very funny. Watch and listen, your perspective can slowly change and you will be amazed.

Music is not something to just tolerate, it is something to be enjoyed, to love, to be swept away in, to defend in the face of blaspheme against it.

Music in my church is so important, can you imagine a meeting without music, it would be soooo bland, so unfulfilled. Our Primary Children get up every October and Sing, yes SING to us, there are a few speaking parts but the majority is MUSIC. It is so important, and heart-touching. In The Doctrine and Covenants, we are told that music is a prayer. What a wonderful way to pray, to tell everyone what you believe and what you feel.


Music is my life, the way I think, All you need to touch my heart is beautiful music. Sunday in church choir practice we sang an absolutely beautiful song, that I don't think I'll be able to sing all the way through without crying. It's called Star of Bethlehem, and if you haven't heard it, you need to.

An interesting thought just came to me. If we didn't have any of that hard rock music and the darker sounding music or rap which isn't music at all, would we have any thieves, murders, any people doing anything wrong at all. Sure we might have the odd wacko here and there, but would we have any of that class which we consider criminals? Or did these poor people go wrong because they listened to the wrong music as a teen? Did they listen to classical music when they were teens, the way I am right now? Your probably laughing just reading this, but I'm honestly asking, Did they listen to beautiful uplifting music or did they listen to degrading, not-so-beautiful-music? Or did they participate in bands or orchestra's where they could hear that music? It's just food for thought but just think about it.

I love music with all my heart. Music is my way of life, with a dad who was a band teacher for 9 years it could hardly be anything else.

Cello music is so beautiful to me, our depth and range of sound is amazing and lovely!

Music is a passion and don't try to change my mind. Music will change your life if you let it. Just let it.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to post a comment on here, But it got WAY WAY WAY long, and it continues to do so. It was like I was making an actual post. So, I'll just say this- The last line is so true in my life. I loved the way you described the music. I would REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate it if you were to comment on my post that I will put up sometime in the near future. I like to write about music and I think you might find it interesting.

    -Andrew.

    ReplyDelete