Monday, October 25, 2010

Davis Youth Symphony

This is where I finally get to post a whole entire post just on Davis Youth. On Monday October 20th I auditioned. I didn't know if I'd get in but all hope didn't die within me. I still hoped that I might do well. That next Saturday, the 25th, we got a letter in the mail of . . . acceptance!!!!! I jumped up and screamed, now you can tell how truly excited I was for this because I am NOT the type of person that screams and jumps. In the following weeks I waited with bated breath, our first practice wasn't until October 11th. On the 11th I left NAL practice early. I grabbed my dad and we headed out to the car. We drove over to Davis High and I didn't know quite where to go or what to do. It didn't help that I was the first cellist there. Finally another 2 cellists showed up and I just followed them to where we unpacked. I was not surprised in the slightest when Katie D. Showed up. She is an amazing cellist that I've never had the privilege of playing with before because she is two grades ahead of me and it's rather intimidating I might add, to be in the same orchestra with her now. We have eight cellists. Jen(our section coach) came around with an information sheet to make sure they had all our information right. Of course they had spelled my name wrong, even though it had been on my application spelled RIGHT(I do know how to spell my name right). Just from a glance I could tell I was the youngest cellist and the only 9th grader.

That first day we sight read music. After all I'd gone through that day, my stress level about burst through the top. Emotions were running high and with that music I felt like crying. Mr. W (the conductor) wasn't slow either. Oh no in sight reading we took it as fast as the real thing. I could hardly play a note. sure I could play them at about half the speed , and, at his tempo, maybe a note here or there. They were all sooooo much better than me. My thoughts as I left that day How did I make it in? They're all soooo much better than me. I should quit right now. With some comforting words from parents and a very nice note from Sara I almost felt I could go on and persevere. With many prayers in my heart and aloud I knew I would have help (Oh and have I mentioned I'm LDS? Now I have). When I went to my lesson that week I knew that I could get help from Blake, but the help I got wasn't what I expected, he penciled in a few fingerings but over all it didn't help all that much. I was in for it the next week.

Week 2: Once again I'm the first cellist to arrive. The room where I unpacked the previous week had stuff in it and I wasn't sure if I was to unpack in there. I asked Mr. W who just happened to be coming out of a nearby room, he said in that room, but they were trying to make it hard on us weren't they? I don't know who they is, but they are sure making life hard. Then Jen (section coach), Camille (fellow cellist) and I got chairs and stands for everyone. soon the others began to arrive. Paul, Katie, Sarah, Boyd, and Kyle. After we started to practice Sage showed up. All of these names I picked up in passing though I wish Jen would have had us introduce ourselves. After hour-long sectionals, we went into the main room and had our symphony rehearsal. I still couldn't play a lot of the stuff. However, I could play a lot of the music.

Once I realized we were going to have seating auditions the next week I realized that Blake was going out of town when we would normally have our lesson. Good luck on your interview for dental school Blake! But boy, what a week to be gone. Since there was no way to get any help from Blake I went second best, Mrs. Tuke. You know a teacher is a fantastic teacher when she'll come in to help you on her day at the High School. On Thursday Mrs. Tuke was scheduled to go to Davis High and teach there, but she came during intervention to help ME with my Davis Youth Music. She told me that she would ask one of the three Davis Youth members in her Chamber Orchestra to record the music so I could listen to it. Unfortunately none of them had there music. Katie offered to help me though. On Saturday Katie came over to my house. We worked on the music for over 2 and a half hours. Since this was the first time I'd actually met Kaitie we found some common ground and it was so much fun. I learned a lot about Davis Youth and our section itself.

Half of the eight cellists, are from Mrs. Tuke's orchestras, Boyd, Sarah, Katie and Myself. Boyd, Kyle, and Paul are all seniors. Sage, Sarah, Kaitie and Camille are all Juniors. Not only am I the only Freshman there aren't any sophomores. Dad says that says something about my playing. I think it says something about the fact that they're all older, wiser, and better players than me. Kaitie and I both didn't know Kyle's name that day. We named all the cellists and his was the only one we couldn't come up with. Today I picked it up. What fun we had, and Kaitie is forever a wonderful person in my eyes. Without her my audition today would have gone much worse.

Today, I was not the first one, thank goodness. Sarah, Katie and Kyle were already there. We did auditions and I was first to go, how wrong is that. Totally randomly she picked the end and I had to go first. It went okay but it could have gone better. Slowly, very slowly, every one went. while we were waiting we all practiced other songs. Katie even played the can-can with her foot doing the bowing, It was quite interesting. As Paul was practicing before he went out to audition he was playing the solo from Poet and Peasant. It brought tears to my eyes. I know I'm a baby, but the way he played it was so beautiful, so soothing, so wonderful. I hope he gets first chair just so I get to hear him play it again and again. Today went a lot smoother and I could play a lot more of the music. Thank goodness for people like Katie. now I'm not nearly as intimidated of her because she is such a sweet nice person.

Now Davis Youth is a little easier and I'm growing to be a better cellist too.

No comments:

Post a Comment