Right now in English we are reading a book. And to be quite frank with you, I don't like it one bit. Fahrenheit 451 is a very well written book and I love the story line. However, many of the ideals in the book are absolutely horrid!!!!!! for instance:
The other day I was reading captain Beatty's spiel, and,well, it was awful!!! I quote, ". . . the word 'intellectual,' of course, became the swear word it deserved to be." Bam! right there something I can't believe somebody just said, book or no. But, it goes on," . . . Surely you remember the boy in you own school class who was exceptionally 'bright,' did most of the reciting and answering while the others sat like so many leaden idols, hating him. And wasn't it this bright boy you selected for beatings and tortures after hours? Of course it was." O.K. We live in a sad society once the 'nerds' and 'geeks' and 'intellectuals' of our society are being picked on. I mean even in my school we do slightly make fun of people if they are too smart for their own good. I should know, occasionally I get the treatment. But when we beat up a kid for being smart,( For crying out loud s/he was born that way!) we have sunk to an all time low. That's just despicable and mean.
On and on it goes. "We must all be alike. Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal. Each man in the image of every other; then all are happy, for there are no mountains to make them cower, to judge themselves against." So every man isn't made equal, but where one excels at music another excels at science. We're all different and that's what makes us unique. we can't be who we are if we aren't doing something that defines us. Imagine a world where all of us look alike. if everyone had the same likes and dislikes. there would be no purpose! how could anyone ever be happy? They couldn't. In order to be happy you need to be your own person. It's almost imperative. Alright so it is imperative. I have friends that wouldn't be themselves if they didn't do what they do. One makes lousy and sometimes actually very good puns. One is always quoting movies. One is a Science geek (yes I said that) they wouldn't be themselves if they weren't always doing what they do.
But Beatty continues. "So! A book is a loaded gun in the house next door. Burn it. Take the shot from the weapon. Breach man's mind. Who knows who might be the target of the well-read man? Me? I won't stomach them for a minute." Well Beatty I have one thing to say to you, You do not understand the importance of books. You are a despicable man. But read that last section again. "A book is a loaded gun in the house next door. Burn it." What an awful statement, 'burn it' this is me talking and I can't hardly throw a book and not worry about it. But Burn It!!! you've toed the line and gone across it too. You don't burn a book that is dreadful, appalling, contemptible. But then again look at that section yet again. 'A book is a loaded gun . . .' Ever thought about how true that is? ever thought how the book is the thing that makes us think outside the box, and to consider the extraordinary? the book is a powerful thing. It makes you think. (Ouch! for some of us) it makes us consider the things that we would have never thought of.
I have a feeling all of the great writers who have come up with amazing fantasy worlds were well read. Look at J.R.R Tolkein, J.K Rowling, C.S Lewis.(Oh another similarity between these fantastic writers, they all use initials) they all came up with amazing, extraordinary fantasy worlds that take you out of everyday life and transport you to a magical place filled with excitement.
Books have a power not unlike that of music. they instill in us who we are. They are another type of magic. Books are what make us think as a society.
I think what captain Beatty was telling him about the constitution is that a man is MADE equal, but like the black slaves of the eighteen hundreds, not every man is born equal.
ReplyDeleteAs for a loaded gun and whatnot, he was saying that a certain book offended a minority, so they got rid of it. That's why they burned books. And it's not completely Beatty's fault. He's a spawn of society and its ideals.
I do agree with you though when you say books are powerful.
ReplyDeleteAnd how can you not like the book? It's awesome!
I didn't say I didn't like it, I said I didn't agree with it. In fact in the first paragraph I said, quote, "Fahrenheit 451 is a very well written book and I love the story line."
ReplyDeleteI like the book, it's written in an interesting style. However, I get angry whenever I think of all the books that have been lost to those firefighters. The only thing that really makes it okay is thinking that, somewhere outside of that nasty US book-burning government, maybe in England somewhere, they still have the books that were lost in the US.
ReplyDeleteBeatty is a brat, but I agree with Andrew, it wasn't completely his fault. However, he did start reading books, so he should know better...
Oops...I have a problem with that occasionally.
ReplyDelete