The other day in Geography Gibson came in and said "Nasty! who would do that? Who would kiss their girlfriend in the middle of the hall? Nasty!" I totally and completely agree. Then again I wonder who would even have a girl/boyfriend in ninth grade.
Dating is so utterly pointless in Junior High. Even in High School I think its made into a bigger deal than it should be. Dating is just a way of making friends with someone of the opposite gender. And having fun. Why do we get so serious so fast?
I love romance novels, and the 'gooshy' parts of movies as much as the next girl, but why are we so anxious to get into a relationship at age 14 or 15? Why do we want the problems that accompany 'a little bit of fun'? Dating too early can be as bad as taking drugs or drinking alcohol. You can get into serious trouble.
Maybe it's just my upbringing, but having children outside of the covenant of marriage is wrong. It just is. There are high school students have abortions because they weren't ready for a child. Teenagers are not responsible enough yet to have that burden laid upon their shoulders, yet oftentimes it's their own decisions that put them in that position. In fact this is the case 100% of the time. You're parents do not encourage you, I'm sure, to go find a boy/girl friend and have baby! They tell you to wait. They tell you you're not ready(yeah, I know, the words we never want to hear from our parents but they're completely true) Statistics have shown that people who begin dating before the age of 16 are more likely to take part in premarital sexual relationships. It's not right, it's not even cool, It's awful and abortions are just cruel.
Even when a person begins dating it shouldn't be in a paired relationship. That's the other part of the danger in dating that could lead to teens with kids. When you are with one person and one person only you are more tempted to do things you shouldn't do. Go on group dates do something that will not allow you to pair off. Because as soon as you do the danger lights flash.
I don't want to put forth the idea that I know much about dating. Truth is I'm not old enough to date. Only one more year and I'll be old enough. But I do know that having a baby as a teenager can ruin your life. It may not stay in the dumps forever, but you will have a really hard time doing what you need to do.
I hate hearing about 9th graders at my school talking about people who are "going out". There's no glory in 'going out'. There's no glory in what is going on here. It's dangerous and not worth the risk.
I agree with you 100%. I think that a lot of people coming into Junior High think that if they don't have a boyfriend or girlfriend, they won't be "cool" or won't make any friends or fit in at all. It also shows that there is a big lack of self-control of the teen hormones. Self-control builds strength, and giving in makes you weaker. Indulging once makes it that much harder not to indulge again.
ReplyDeleteSuch a smart girl! I am so proud of you and so glad you are such a great example for my Brittany!
ReplyDeleteHow does a junior high school student GO out? Where do you go? How do you get there? I agree with your comments and enjoyed reading them, as always!
ReplyDeletethat is a very good question, here's the answer. "Going Out" is what junior high students seem to call dating. When you hear of two people "going out" They're dating. (which is not a good idea as I've stated before, unless it's a one time, group date)
ReplyDeleteMy parents say that if you're going to start dating at sixteen, you shouldn't ever go on a date with the same guy twice. I completely agree with everything you've said, and, even though I'm a little late in commenting, I loved reading this! :D
ReplyDelete