Sunday, April 24, 2016

Support Grou-I mean-Strategic Culture

As many people already know, and they probably do because I'm not good at keeping my mouth shut when I'm going through something, I've been in a class called Strategic Culture. It's a primary research course in which we are attempting to answer policy questions through a cultural lens. We look at four aspects of culture. Identity, how they see themselves. Values, the things that they truly value. Norms, the accepted actions and in contrast, the unacceptable actions. And Perceptual Lens, so how the group sees itself and others on the global stage.

Anyway, It's a really cool class that gives us a clear view of what an analyst really does at the CIA. So we've been researching our topics for about two months now and about four weeks ago Jeannie came into class and told us "You're all going to D.C. with me". She informed us that we had been invited to D.C. for a mini conference to present our research to relevant people who are interested.

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Anyway so we've all be working super hard to get our research in order, start writing the papers (none of us really have), and put together our presentations. So every class became, quite literally, a support group.

Walking into class every day was another opportunity to figure out where everyone else was and then not feel as bad because no one else had really started either. It was also an opportunity to bounce ideas off of one another.

As the youngest in this class (when am I not?), it has been a complete growing experience. I've had mentor's and proofreaders *cough* Molly *cough*. people who have supported me from across the country *cough* Sam *cough* and people who have put up with my "stained-glass" window.


But I think the most important group of people are those in my class, because venting sessions are the best kind of therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment