Actually, I should rephrase that question to say: What are bikes, bike trails and bugs to my dad, brother and brother's friend? My second question is this: How come the scouting program involves so much drastic exercise?
Now I should explain that probably thoroughly confusing paragraph. Today I went on a bike ride. I know that doesn't sound to extremely hard, but let me tell you, it was. Why? because we biked a total of 25 miles. 25! My brother and his friend are working on their cycling merit badge. And today I got dragged along.
Every morning for the past week I've been going out at 7-ish in the morning and riding my bike in order to get my exercise for my Fit For Life class. Today I was so exhausted I ignored my alarm clock and slept for another hour than normal. This had consequences. Those being that my mom was bugging me all day to go out and do some exercising. This ended up being in the form of a bike ride that was very long.
We left about 4:30. After finding out that my bike was not in working condition and I had to use my mother's. So we left. We went over the new Layton interchange thingy, and down onto some trail. We went for awhile and I soon found out that my pace was quite a bit slower than the other 3's and I was soon left behind. Sure, Dad stayed close enough that I would know where to go, but I was behind. This was not what I expected. In fact I think I was a bit cocky in the fact that I thought I could be right up there with them. Not so. I couldn't put my money where my mouth was.
We rode all the way to about Centerville. Towards the end on the Legacy walkway we ran into many bugs. The little one's that fly in swarms. If I had not been wearing sunglasses, I would have had a hard time of it. As it was I had to shut my mouth very tightly in order to not eat any bugs. Along the way I noticed many very pretty flowers. There were some very bright orange ones, practically neon, and there were some fun pink ones.
But as we got about 4 and 1/2 miles from the very end of it, by other brother joined us. This little 8-year-old had so much energy it almost made me exhausted. Of course by this time I was starting to get a little achy in my legs. I was a little surprised this hadn't happened before then because I haven't been doing many distance rides, just up Mutton Hollow.
But the good news is that I made it! All 25 miles. I know, you're probably all very surprised, but I did do it, no lies. On Friday the Teachers are doing their 50 miler, and I might join them. Dad's going, and I'd be the only girl, but I think I could do it. It would be a challenge, I'm not going to down play it. It'll be hard, but I think the outcome will be worth it.
So, once again: What are people to bikes, bike trails and bugs? Not a whole lot until you get to the end and you're sore. . .
Wow! That sounds really hard! It's great that you were able to finish! :D
ReplyDeleteAn Update! Today as of 6: 32(ish) I completed a 50 mile bike ride. That is my biggest accomplishment yet, and only took us about 5 hours.
ReplyDelete