Saturday, May 28, 2011

Falcon Finale

Wednesday night we had our awards night at the school. I had cello that night and Karlton had his first Pine Wood Derby so scheduling was a bit tight. So right after cello dad dropped me off at the school. I was there an hour early, and a half an hour earlier than I needed to be. Alex and Julia showed up at about the same time as me so we started to talk. We checked to see if the locker combination's had been changed yet, they hadn't. We were just talking and laughing, it was a lot of fun.

We found out that Mr. Bailey was here so we decided to start setting up. We were a little confused as to which side which musical group was on, but when Mrs. Tuke came that was all sorted out. We set up and the band set up. I was sort of the Commanding voice telling people where to put things and how to do it.

By the time we were all set up it was about 15 minutes before we were to start. So I went and got my cello and my music. We got all set up and were ready to go. The only problem was that I forgot a rock stop so I had to cope without. We finally started prelude at about 7. We were supposed to start before that. Then we had welcome by our Student Body President. After the presentation of the colors and the Pledge of Allegiance. Then we had Group Award presentations. followed by "The Lion King" played by yours truly and the orchestra. Following the piece we started the spotlight recognitions.

The Art one was done, Alyssa Stewart, and then Mrs. L got up there. She started with the Best student of drama award. Anna got that and she deserved it one hundred percent! Then Clytie got best Actress and TJ got best actor. Both deserved it. Then the band award went to Chandler, the Business to Megan, and the Choral to Nick. After that the English Language Learner went to Yerko and the FaCS to Micki, who didn't know she was getting an award. Then the French award. Sara and I had been dreading this one. Both of us have been working Autonomously all year. so if she had picked either of us it would almost be like picking a favorite. Because we had a clear line of sight to each other we had been communicating the whole time. We were talking during this one too. She knew it was me from the very beginning. And sure enough it was.

After me, it was the General Studies which went to Kaitlynn. After her the Language Arts award. Mr. T couldn't be there, which was disappointing, but Mrs. V did it. From the very first sentence of Mr. T's spiel we all knew who it was. And during the rest we were all looking at each other and saying: "Brad," "Yup, that's Brad too" And other things along those lines.

After Brad it was the Outstanding Reading award and I'm not sure who got that. Then the band played a number which woke us all up. it was called "Tangents Angular." Ironically after the piece Mrs. C got up to give the Math award which went to Tanner. Then the Orchestra award. Which went to my stand partner, Austin. He's an amazing cellist. Then the peer Tutor award went to Golda, and eighth grader. And then Makayla Warren got the Peer Support award. After Makayla, Rachel got the female athlete award, and Zerek got the male athlete award. Then Mr. Erickson got up and gave the Science award. I knew it was Sara. She denied it, but I knew the whole time. Sure enough it was.

After that there was the Social Studies award, given to Gibson, and then the Spanish which was given to Brighton. Carlee received the Yearbook award and she completely and utterly deserved it.Then the choir sang "Mr. Blue Sky"

Then the Administration recognized the PTSA board and gave the Honorary Falcon Award.

Then they did the First Falcon Nominees. To my surprise mine was the first name called. I went up on the stage and they put the medal on my neck. Directed me where to go and told my parents to come up. Then they read a paragraph about me. Then Rachel, Yerko, TJ, Sara, and Zerek were called up each in turn. I knew Sara would be nominated. Then Mr. B asked Ben to give a drum roll. He did and then Mr. B said "This year's First Falcon is . . . Brigitte ____" I was so surprised and so happy. My grin was literally from ear to ear. I was so happy.

I went to sit down for the school song, and as I did Ashkeya stood up and gave me a big hug. after the school song and the Farewell, I had to get pictures with the Administration and my parents. Then I took my cello back to the orchestra room. I headed back to the Cafeteria to locate Sara. We had a very long, very wonderful hug. Then she had to take stands back and I went to find Anna and Clytie. I found them in the back of the cafeteria with Annie and Rachel. Annie attacked me in a big hug and Anna told me how she knew the whole time. I pulled Clytie into a hug and then Rachel. Finally when Clytie and Anna were arguing about who knew first I simply said to Anna "Shut up and give me a hug!" Then I got a few other things. I think all the congratulations turned my head.

We finally went home and something else happened to keep me grinning for the next four days, at least.

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! for very distinguished honors. #1 Falcon! I can't wipe the grin off my face either. You make us proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! You definitely deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete