Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The End of Honors English

Dear Friends from Honors English and Mr. T,

This year has been amazing! It has literally flown by. I can't believe that it is already the last two weeks of my, and your, final year at Fairfield.

I am so glad I made the choice to join Honors English, and I'm sure you are too. I've enjoyed everything from the very beginning. Falcon Forum was a little addicting I admit, but so was Shelfari. Through those forums and discussion boards I have gotten to know each one of you a little better, and honestly, on the whole it was a fantastic experience.

I have enjoyed blogging too. The little comments I get from each of you really do make a difference, they make me feel "warm and fuzzy" on the inside. They are all so nice and informative. I have improved in my writing style because of those comments.

This year I have come out of my 'shell' a whole bunch more, and I have to say that a lot of that was because of this class. I have been less afraid to speak my mind. I have been more willing to say what I feel needs to be said. All of you added to this feeling and you can't deny it. I have grown because of you. It's not something that I did by myself. It's because you pushed me and encouraged me. I don't think I would have grown nearly as much if I hadn't had that gentle encouragement.

The atmosphere of this class, even though it wasn't in a classroom, has been reassuring and encouraging. We don't criticize each other in a harsh way. If someone needs a little bit of redirecting we just help them in the gentlest possible way. We don't worry about harsh criticism. In this way we have the ideal class. It is the best class I could ever imagine. We are amazing, I don't think it's bragging to say so.

There's something about this curriculum that makes me want to work to get it done. Maybe it's the addictiveness of the programs we use, maybe it's the people I work with and talk to about this stuff. When I wanted to quit I kept persevering, I think it was because of the fact that I knew that at least 10 other people were also struggling.

I loved the books we read, with the exception of the Ray Bradbury's. In second term I had to read two Ray Bradbury's because I've already read Pride and Prejudice. Honestly, It was hard for me, but I did it and that's what counts. The other books, writing contests and other things we did were amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I have a challenge for all of you. I think we should keep blogging and posting on the discussion posts. I have enjoyed learning about each of you through your writing. It's been fantastic! If we quit all of this when the class is over, was there really a point? It would also be a great way to lead by example and get the new Honors class excited. What do you say? I know that I for one will keep posting.

You are all awesome! I look forward to seeing what each person does from now on. Knowing each of you, there will be great things coming from this class!

Thank you all,
Brigitte

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same. I have grown SOOOOO much this year. Two years and three terms I have been, honestly, lonely. I never really talked to anyone, I never spoke out, and if someone said hi to me, I spoke with the weakest voice. But now, I talk to people in class, I speak what I'm thinking, and I ACTUALLY say hi loud enough for people to hear me. In one class, I've even been told to shut up! (It's nothing to brag about really, but it's only because I get social interaction during that hour. That's what I'm happy about, the socialization.)

    I'm surprised you didn't like Ray Bardbury's books. Yes, they are difficult, but this is coming from the girl that reads "Anne of Green Gables," "Secret Garden," and "Little Woman."

    As for the blogging, I'll still do that too. Have you ever read my blog before? I only that two of my friends read it because they make comments. But I see the total page views going all the way up to eight and even to twenty. I'm just interested because I limit myself to a pretty small audience and if I know I can expand it, that would help. I'm not saying you have to read it, but if you have, it would be nice to know. And have you ever listened to those songs I talked about? And are you going to Davis? And are you wondering why I'm asking so many questions? Would you like me to stop? Are you saying yes? Do you realize that I have in fact now left? (You get the picture.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the Ray Bradbury's were a little difficult for me. Yes, I do read long, complicated books, and I enjoy them, but the writing style was weird for me. I had a hard time reading them.

    I have read your blog, just not very often. I don't have any access to Youtube so I have a hard time accessing those songs you suggest. I am going Davis, yes I am wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to miss Honor's English! I didn't find the Ray Bradbury books too hard; it was Pride and Prejudice that killed me that term. I also haven't posted as much as I should have on the Falcon Forum...

    I'm definitely going to continue my blog. It's been great being able to post things and have people write back and tell me what they're thinking about. I love reading everyone's blogs, they do such a wonderful job!

    Oh, this is Serena, by the way. I changed my nickname. '^^

    ReplyDelete