It must have been in my music folder which was packed up in my cello case. I let Ms. Turneau know and I ran down to the Band room and got my research. As I raced back up to the commons they were loading the bus, I ran to the bus. I literally felt like was running every where like a chicken with her head cut off.
On the bus ride down to Centerville I got to relax a bit. Then we got there and I ran around again trying to make sure that everyone was behaving and in the right places. Our game went nicely. In first quarter we tied with 6 each and in 2nd quarter the same with 6 each. And then our third quarter (Morgan, Emily, Micki, Josh, and myself) came in and we had to pull our team out of a tie. So we did. we scored 18 points and Centerville scored 16. Then in fourth quarter we really pulled ahead and won 50 to 27 (you can lose points in fourth quarter as well as earn them. That's why Centerville earned negative points in 4th quarter)
Any way when we won we were pretty unsportsmanlike but you can imagine our joy when after 6 straight losses we finally won. On the bus ride back Micki, Kailey, Josh and I played the chain game which was lots of fun.
When we got back I had to literally run and get my dress shirt on and get my cello out. When we got back it was about 5:08 and my ensemble was at 5:15 and I had to hurry. My solo was directly after that. The Ensemble went pretty well, we played Allegro in C Major by Mozart but it was alright. Then my solo. Sara was my accompanist and I played Sonata in C Major by Jean Batiste Breval the rondo grazioso portion. It went pretty well as well. I'm soooooo glad it's over.
Then last night I read the night away. I was totally and completely exhausted. So glad that this absolutely hectic day is OVER!!!!
Orchestra
May 12, 2010
On they come
First cellos then basses
Mixture all low
Then the violas
With violins right behind
They find their seats
Arrange the stands
And then they sit
And wait
A cellist is watching
A spot off the stage
Then suddenly she leans forward
And whisper’s across
“Concertmaster!”
The concertmaster stands
And puts bow to string
And drawing across
A note gushes forth
One pure note
And then they all
Join and the note is a chord
At once they all stop
And the cellist is watching once more
Quickly she stands
And the orchestra follows
As onto the stage
The conductor comes bowing
She then seats the orchestra
And takes her place
She flips through the music
And raises her face
All bows come up
And sound comes forth
As she moves her hands
The violins with melody pure
The cellos, violas and basses
With harmony clear
Sound comes forth and starts very soft
Increasingly it grows until
The sound is thundering
Just over your head
The song starts to slow and
And then it speeds up
Until it seems the
Bows don’t touch the string
The once again
The bows start to slow
And the music begins to soften
A sense of longing fills you
As quietly and sweetly now
The orchestra sings
It almost seems a lullaby
And the music sways
Sweet serenity
Then the bows sustain a note
For now the song is over
The conductor slowly lowers her arms
And raises the orchestra
She turns around applause breaks out
Thundering, crashing
Rolling in waves
She bows and leaves the stage,
The orchestra following close behind
And longing yet again sets in
As you yet realize
The magic is lost
Never to be regained again
Solo
May 14, 2010
you slowly take out your instrument
and tighten your bow
that feeling of butterflies
is all too real
your shaking all over
and you know that it shows
because just out there
are people
yes people
people you know
or people who are your friends
you want to impress
you want to do well
what happens if you don’t?
Your shaking so badly
you can barely think
and then it’s your turn
your teacher said your name
you walk up, adjust the stand
and get a chair
you say your name and
what you are playing
you sit down and start to play
you wince as some note or rhythm goes amiss
finally it’s over you sit
but still your shaking
and nervousness persists
for so it is with solos
Keep in mind that the poems are written from the point of view of a cellist (which I am) in a violin or viola solo they'd stand up.
Aaaahhhhhh.......the music. Thank you for sharing--music and poems. :)
ReplyDelete